This policy outlines the way in which Cassab & Associates Solicitors manages personal information.
Cassab & Associates Solicitors understands the significance of protecting personal information we collect from you and we are committed to protecting your information to the best of our abilities and in accordance with all relevant legal requirements.
This policy applies to any personal information provided to us when visiting our website, engaging our services or when communicating with our office, whether by telephone, facsimile, email or in person.
Types of personal information we collect
We may collect and hold personal information about:
• clients, business associates and potential clients and their employees;
• information about individuals we collect in the course of acting for clients;
• suppliers and their employees;
• employees, prospective employees and contractors; and
• other people who come into contact with a member of Cassab & Associates Solicitors.
Personal information includes, without limitation, information or opinion (in recorded form or otherwise) about an identified, or reasonably identifiable, individual. This may include your name, your date of birth and your contact details, and may also include information about your dealings with us. This information assists us in conducting our business, providing and marketing our services, communicating with you to provide or promote our services, managing and enhancing our services and meeting our legal obligations.
Collection of personal information
We will generally collect personal information:
• from you directly when you provide your details to us;
• from you indirectly through, without limitation, emails, consultations and telephone conversations and through use of the services and facilities available through our website and/or other social media channels; and
• from third parties in some instances, for example, where third parties are used to analyse traffic at our website.
Storage of personal information
We will take reasonable steps to protect the security of personal information, including, without limitation, from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Our personnel are required to respect the confidentiality of personal information and the privacy of individuals. Please note that the internet may not be a secure environment and when you provide us with information over the internet you do so at your own risk.
How long do we hold personal information for?
By law, we are required to hold files for a minimum period of 7 years from the date of conclusion of a matter, unless we are instructed otherwise. In some cases, we may be required to retain documents for longer. When we no longer require your personal information we will take reasonable steps to destroy it.
Disclosure of personal information
We may disclose your personal information:
• to other members of Cassab & Associates Solicitors;
• to entities who assist us in providing our services (including hosting and data storage providers and debt collectors); and
• where we are required to do so by law.
Access to your personal information
Subject to the exceptions set out in the Privacy Act, you may seek access to and correction of the personal information which we hold about you by contacting our office on (02) 9793 2700. We will require you to verify your identity and to specify what information you require. If a fee is charged for providing access, you will be advised of the likely cost in advance.
Privacy related complaint
If you have any questions about privacy-related issues please contact our office on (02) 9793 2700. If you wish to make a complaint about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles or the handling of your personal information please lodge your complaint in writing. Any complaint will be investigated by the Director and you will be contacted as soon as possible in attempt to resolve your concern.
If we are unable to satisfactorily resolve your concerns about our handling of your personal information, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner:
GPO Box 5218 | Sydney NSW 2001 | Tel: 1300 363 992 | www.oaic.gov.au
Updates to this Policy
This Policy will be reviewed from time to time to take account of new laws and technology, changes to our operations and practices and the changing business environment. The most current version of this Policy is located at www.cassablegal.com.au and can also be obtained by contacting our office on (02) 9793 2700.